And miracles shall never cease. . .

The impossible has happened.

I have been complimented on my Thai.

Not once, but FOUR times!

The first time, it was a total stranger. He stopped to admire Adia (totally cute baby that she is), and said, in English, "Lady or. . . .?"

So I responded in Thai, "Girl."
He said, "Where are you going?"
I said, "The university."
And he said, "Oh you speak Thai really well."

As I have said before, it doesn't take much to impress Thais with your efforts to speak their language.

The second time, I was asking my neighbor if I could buy some water (she gets it delivered in bulk, and we buy it from her). Her daughter, who speaks fluent English, was very impressed that I had learned how to say "buy water" since she had last visited.

The third time, Jick complimented me on my pronunciation when I said "we're going home."

The fourth time, Earn told John I was starting to understand a lot more.

So, you see, give me fourteen months in a country and even I can make noticable progress.

Makes me sad to go home now.

Comments

Ariana said…
That's just so cool! We look forward to seeing you when you get back to the States....I hope you enjoy your last few weeks there. Sounds like you have lots of adventures :)

Popular posts from this blog

If I spent half the time posting as I do reading. . .

This is my one hundredth post